Sunday, April 27, 2008

sugar + water + purple



"a lot of black people don't have the privilage to know about grape juice, b/c they have grape drink...ITS NOT THE SAME FORMULA that you get!!!"
~d. chappelle

When I was young, I always knew you were part of an elite group of privilaged kids. if you had the top self stuff from the local Food Lion then you were categorized in this group, whether you wanted to be or not.

example of top self stuff you ask...Cap'n Crunch.

I was raised on Frosted Flakes or the nasty and bland a$$ Cheerios. I think I have a mild form of lactose intolerance so there was no help on making those Cheerios taste any better...so I usually (past and present) eat my cereal dry and I wash it down w/ a Vanilla Coke, Grape Drink or...

Not saying there is/was anything wrong w/ Frosted Flakes...well, until I was introduced to Cap'n Crunch.

I remember tasting Cap'n Crunch for the 1st time, I must have been at least 10 yrs old. It was at my friends house and he was part of that so called privilaged group, so he had all the amenities...every game system (nintendo and sega!), newest toys (the hard to find TMNT) and cable (at the time it was around 60+ channels). cable is another thing I didn't have growing up...so I was the kid in grade school, pretending to have seen the new Power Rangers episode the night before.

One day, after staying over his house, his mom woke us up to a breakfast that had just about every shape (portion) in the food triangle. complete w/ the O.J. (w/ pulp) and Cap'n Crunch. I just remember thinking, "Cot dayum, I'm poor and I gotta get me some Cap'n Crunch!" munch munch munch...

After I convinced my mom to put Cap'n Crunch in the breakfast rotation, I never strayed away from eating breakfast and I've been eating Cap'n Crunch ever since...and over the years though I eventually upgraded to Cap'n Crunch w/ Crunch Berries...

lol...I know this maybe random as h3ll but...this is one of those things that remind me to be grateful for what I have/had...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live at the Fillmore was funny as hell ONE OF THE BEST

~Alex

Niki McNeill Brown said...

LOL I remember you used to keep Cap'n Crunch by your bed.... hilarious!